Grapefruit, not just part of a nutritious breakfast! This Sativa-dominant strain has a tropical citrus smell that will help you ride out these last weeks of winter and prepare to welcome spring and new life. A crowd favourite of the cannabis community, it is a sprightly strain that is loved by canna-connoisseurs for its powerful euphoric effects that will make you feel alive and energetic. It has a high THC level that typically ranges from 19% - 25% and a low CBD level, making it a great strain to assist with depression, anxiety, stress, PTSD, and PMS. Imbolc is also a time of extreme weather up here in Canada and for those that suffer from weather pressure migraine headaches (me!), Grapefruit is a helpful plant ally that can alleviate those life-crushing symptoms that keep you from enjoying your day.
Imbolc is a time of new beginnings and purification in the mind, body and heart. We prune the dead branches of last year’s goals whether they were successful or not. We examine these old branches and decide what has grown and flourished, what may yet need to grow again and be replanted with new attention and diligence, and what should be discarded. After the whirlwind fun and stress that happens over the holidays, Imbolc is the time to listen to the body’s needs for physical wellbeing over the next year, consider what goals, ideas and paths to follow, let the sunshine and light burst into our hearts, and clean house and rid ourselves of lingering negativity, dust and clutter. Grapefruit will give the major mood boost needed to get into a positive state of mind as we begin to take on these tasks.
In addition to this strain's invigorating effects, it also enhances creativity and will assist in establishing motivation to achieve your goals and be more productive throughout the day. Grapefruit is perfect for Imbolc as this Sabbat honours the Pagan goddess Birgid, who (among many things) oversees poetry, crafts, and prophecy. This strain will loosen any mental blocks and lower anxiety so you can open yourself to higher guidance. This strain is pure love and if you open yourself up to its magickal properties and new possibilities it will be the plant ally that you can rely on this Imbolc.
Similar Strains: Lamb’s Bread (a Bob Marley Favourite), Ultra Sour, Super Silver Haze, Gather by Solei. You can also go for one of its hybrid sisters such as Sour Grapefruit or Grapefruit Kush.
- MYRCENE: The most abundant terpene in cannabis, which is where it’s mostly found in nature. Anti-inflammatory, analgesic (pain relief), antibiotic, sedative, antimutagenic.
Also found in mango, thyme, citrus, lemongrass, and hops.
- A/B PINENE: one of the most common cannabis terpenes, which carries a distinct pine-scented bouquet.
- Also found in pine trees, rosemary, dill, basil, and parsley.
- B-CARYOPHYLLENE: A terpene that is present in many herbs and spices, including black pepper, basil, and oregano. The amazing molecular structure of caryophyllene allows it to easily bind to CB2 receptors primarily located within our peripheral endocannabinoid system. Because of this, it comes with a host of potential medical benefits.
Also found in cinnamon leaves, Thai basils, cloves, and black pepper.
- TERPINOLENE: Found in many cannabis strains, but usually in small amounts. Terpinolene plays a key role in defining the smell and taste of many strains and holds a multitude of smells you might find in cannabis: piney, floral, herbaceous, and even a little citrusy.
Also found in lilac, cumin, nutmeg
- HUMULENE: The same terpene that gives hoppy beers their unique taste and smell, humulene is both earthy and spicy. Besides hops, this terpene can be found in a large variety of plants and has been used in holistic medicinal practices.
Also found in basil, common sage, and cloves.
Scent/Flavour: grapefruit (of course!), tropical, citrus, pungent, tangy, sweet